Benefits of Pranayama practice:
- Brings us to the present moment
- Connects us to our bodies and spirit
- Improves your digestion as it helps bring prana to the digestive region
- Improves many sexual problems
- Influences our parasympathetic nervous system
- Establishes stability for longer sitting practices
- Relaxes the body and mind
- Increases our intake of oxygen
- It brings oxygen to the lower organs of the body
- Helps with anxiety
- Helps to reduce hypertension
- Assists in lowers blood pressure
The 4 Stages Of Pranayama Breathing :
- Inhalation / Puraka – the intake of a full inhalation, keeping it smooth & efficient.
- Internal retention / Antara kumbhaka- retention of air within the lungs after inhalation.
- Exhalation / Recaka – expelling used air from the lungs.
- External retention / Bahya kumbhaka – containing the retention of empty lungs after exhalation.
- *In the practice of pranayama one is aims to include all four stages